It is commonly reported that the Pfaltzgraff company was founded in 1811 in York County, Pennsylvania, by several members of the Pfaltzgraff family who were potters, though the most notable member was Johann George Pfaltzgraff, who arrived in York County from Germany in 1833. Johann, having come from a family of potters, knew the trade, and passed his skills on to his seven sons. After Johann died in 1873, three of his children, John, George, and Henry, were still carrying on the business. The business became official in 1889 when George and Henry started a partnership that would become The Pfaltzgraff Co. The first factory was built in 1895.